Monday, April 6, 2009

hello sunshine. hello energy.

It wasn't till the sun was streaming through my apartment windows yesterday that I discovered I'd been suffering from some big time winter weather designing blues. Then out of the blue (blue skies that is) I had the energy I'd been lacking since we moved in December and I was ready to tackle some of my design projects.

before

My first project was the kitchen since it has been driving me nuts from the beginning. I had an IKEA UDDEN wall shelf from my last place and really wanted to hang it in the empty space over the stove, between the only two wall cabinets. What's been holding me back is the fact that the shelf is 49-5/8" long and the space is only 47". I wanted to make it happen and so there I was determined to move the wall cabinet over to make room. I measured out where the screws would have to move to in the cabinet so that they hit the studs but my big mistake was not pre-drilling. There we are trying to hold up this big cabinet as I try to drill the screws through the back, oh, and did I mention that I thought it would be smart to be cooking a Canadian bacon and Gruyere cheese pizza... it was thousand degrees in there. Then the light bulb went off. We decided to put the cabinet down, pre-drill for the screws and actually put up the UDDEN shelf first. Good thing I hung the shelf first because I hadn't taken into account the space needed next to the corner cabinet for the door to swing open and I would have had to take down and move the cabinet again. Finally we got the cabinet up. It didn't stop there. I pulled out the wall holders for my RATIONELL spice jars, hung those and moved the hook for my pot holders so that they would mask the spot where the paint's a different color from where the cabinet had been. It's getting there and I am excited, but it still isn't done.

after

Keep your eyes open for more on the kitchen.

1 comment:

Michelle J. said...

That crazy kitchen!! Your place is like my own personal "Apartment Therapy".