Wednesday, May 26, 2010

a personal design dilemma

Just because I spend my days solving other people's design dilemmas doesn't mean I always have an easy answer for my own. I recently moved into a tiny studio, like 375 sq. feet tiny, and I just love the challenges it provides me. I'm quite pleased with how it is all coming together and yes, I'll be sharing the transformation with you soon enough.

a sneak peak into my tiny pad - before

So, here is my challenge. I have a spot just to the right of my front door and below a large window that could use a little something. I've considered one of my many thrift store chair finds, but I keep coming back to the fact that I could use some more storage, specifically file storage. After doing a bit of online window shopping I came across this beauty, unfortunately at $999 it's a bit more than I'm willing to spend right now, but that doesn't stop me from sharing it with you.

What I feel I'm leaning towards is a vanity under which I could tuck two storage ottomans. I love the versatility of this combination. Not only do I gain a spot to sit down each morning and apply my makeup by beautiful, natural sunlight (instead of by ugly compact fluorescents) but I also gain storage for my files (yup, inside those little storage ottomans), extra seating and occasional tables (yay for the versatility of the ottoman). I've fallen head-over-heels for the simple modern lines of West Elm's Narrow Leg Vanity in white. Also can't beat the fact that it will look fantastic placed just a few feet away from my West Elm Jay desk and it's a third of the price of the Cognita Storage Bench.


I'm now on the lookout for the perfect little storage ottoman. The Seville Rush Cube Storage Ottoman from Target.com caught my eye as I love how the natural rattan exterior will soften up all the white.

via target.com


What's your opinion? Any other storage ottoman suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your ideas. When we were at your apartment, I was thinking you needed a multipurpose piece by the window. The cube solve storage and seating problems.
xo, Mom